What is the purpose of the study?
MEDEX is a research study to examine the benefits for older adults of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), health education, and exercise to improve memory, attention, and concentration.
What is involved in the study?
Participants in the study participate in group classes:
Before classes, participants come to the Healthy Mind Lab, for memory and concentration tests as well as health assessments.
Health and lifestyle assessments include:
- fitness test using a treadmill to gauge your fitness level
- body composition and bone mineral density assessment
- balance assessment
- insulin sensitivity with an oral glucose tolerance test
- MRI brain scan
- mood and daily life questionnaire
- immune system assessment using blood and saliva samples
Frequently Asked Questions
Participation is voluntary, and you can withdraw at any time. We may also consult with your doctor as necessary to determine safe participation. A study nurse and doctor will review your medical history and have you do a stress test before you participate in any group classes.
There are no medications involved in this study.
All participants will receive assessments and group classes at no cost. Up to $600 in compensation is provided for participants who are eligible and participate.
Your time commitment depends on which class you are randomly assigned to for the study.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction classes (MBSR): 1 class per week for the first 10 weeks, then dropping to 1 class per month for remainder of the study
Living a Healthy Life health education classes: 1 class per week for the first 10 weeks, then dropping to 1 class per month for remainder of the study
Exercise classes: 2 classes per week for 6 months, then dropping to 1 class per week for remainder of study
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction classes (MBSR) AND physical exercise classes:
- 1 mindfulness class per week for the first 10 weeks, then dropping to 1 class per month for remainder of the study
- 2 exercise classes per week for 6 months, then dropping to 1 class per week for remainder of study
Some of the health assessments and results can be shared with your healthcare provider and some cannot.
Enrollment is now complete.